Sunday, April 25, 2010

LABOR story

I am a blog reading fool. I can't help myself! I love blogs. I was reading a sorority sister's blog today. She outlined her labor and it got me thinking about Jack's Birthday.

Throughout the latter part of my pregnancy I was having some complications. Low amnionic fluid to be exact. We had to go to the doctor twice a week. Get non-stress tests and once a week ultrasounds. Because of this we were planning on being induced on February 15th.

February 5th. We had a check up and a non-stress test. The docotor surprised us with "You're 4 cm dialated and completely thinned out". After digesting this info we asked, "When do you think he's going to make his appearance?" We were told to expect a baby by the Super Bowl!!

All weekend went by. No baby.

Tuesday, February 9th. (Jack's Birthday) Doctor visit #2. We saw the nurse practitioner. She checked me out and NO CHANGE!! Did the non-stress test, the ultrasound, and we were on our way out the door. The mid-wife stopped me to "check me" one more time. Chris was at work and I was headed to work. Next thing I know, I hear "oops!?" and feel the rush. She "accidentally" broke my water. Later she confessed this was done on purpose.

11:55. We check into DePaul. I'm barely in the doors and asking for my epidural. I wanted a pain free labor.

12:15. All hooked up and ready to go. My contractions were strong and about 4 minutes apart. Pain that I couldn't discribe was shooting thorugh my body. Awful. And where was my epidural? Apparently you need a bag of fuilds first. Agh!

2:30. I REPEAT 2:30!! In walks Dr. Mah. AKA the miracle worker. She was here to stick a needle in my spine and make life good again. She made everyone leave. The process took 5 minutes. Youc an do the math; I had a contraction during this time. The poor L&D nurse, Julieta, almost lost her arm, but I didn't move! They put a catheter in, with all the fluids they didn't want me up and down too much.


3:30. In walks Sharon, the midwife. The news is "baby by 5". But my epidural slowed down my progress and they had to give me pitocin to speed things back up. At this point we were excitedly texting people and preparing for Baby Jack's arrival!





4:00. I'm guessing this is when I start getting the shakes. Uncontrollable shakes. Apparently from adrenaline.

5:40. Push time. It was fabulous, laid back, and perfect. No stirrups, no screens, nothing. Just Chris, Martha (L&D nurse), and Sharon (our midwife). We chatted, then pushed, chatted then pushed. Forty minutes later...

6:24. We meet Jack. The light of our precious lives. He was so perfect, beautiful, and precious. I didn't even feel my stitches or the gory afterbirth stuff. Christopher cut the cord and Jack was officially here =)


6 lbs 11 pz of perfection. 19 1/2 inches of jaw dropping amazingness. 1 beautiful head of hair. 10 fingers. 10 toes. AWESOME.


Happy Birthday Jack Christopher Dial!

No comments:

Post a Comment